Faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
—Romans 10:17 (ESV)
As United Methodists, we believe the Holy Spirit works today in our thoughtful study of the Scriptures, especially as we study them together, seeking to relate the old words to life’s present realities. But we also recognize that many of us in our own midst haven’t read the Bible. As the people of Kingswood, we are seeking to help each other open up the Bible in 2016 in a spirit of community with other believers — some of whom have read the Bible before, but many of whom are hoping to read it for the first time.
Step 1: Decide How You Want to Read
How do you want to read the Bible? We have selected three reading plans that will allow you to read through the Bible in a year, by reading just a few chapters each day:
- Read 2–3 chapters of the Old Testament, and about a chapter in the New Testament each day.
- If you’re new to the Bible, this is a great plan!
- Read through the Gospels during the first half of the year, while simultaneously reading in the Old Testament.
- Thereafter, each day includes a selection from Acts, one of the New Testament letters, or Revelation.
- Read 3–4 chapters a day, straight through from beginning to end.
- If you’re using a print Bible, keep just one bookmark in this easy-to-follow plan.
- This plan may lend itself better to following along in a commentary or other resource to go even deeper.
- Old Testament readings are January to September; New Testament is October to December.
- Read the Bible in the chronological order in which its stories occurred.
- Daily readings are 3–4 chapters and skip between books.
- Great for advanced Bible readers — get a different “take” on the Bible.
- Does the Bible sometimes seem repetitive? It is! Written by different authors, see how the same events are weaved through different texts.
Step 2: Print or Subscribe to Reading Plan
Bible Gateway provides fantastic resources for reading the Bible online. The plans we have selected come from Bible Gateway. By far the easiest way to participate is to create a free account and subscribe to their reading plan online. You’ll receive a daily email with the text of your reading for the day. Read step-by-step instructions for subscribing.
You can find each plan online and follow along in a web browser, or you can print the readings for the entire month.
Step 3: Sign Up for the Challenge Mailing List
One devoted winner in each of three categories will have a chance to win $100 by participating in the challenge and answering the most questions correctly. The participation categories are:
- Youth (middle school/high school)
- Elementary grades, based on grade at the start of the year
To be eligible to win the $100, you must answer all questions, which will be archived on the church web site.
If you’re 13 or above, sign up using the form below. Parents, if you have children younger than 13 who want to participate, you can register their email with your permission.
Subscribe to Challenge Mailing List
Step 4: Talk About It!
Tell everyone what you’re doing…
- In your small group or Sunday School class
- On social media
Tell everyone that you’re participating, using the hashtags #KUMCBibleChallenge and #ReadTheBible!